How we can help you...
We are one of the most experienced litigation and dispute resolution practices on the Shore. For some of our work click here. Our expertise and experience covers most areas of civil and commercial litigation, including:
- General commercial disputes
- Debt recovery including bankruptcy and insolvency
- Property litigation including trusts and estates
- Relationship/Matrimonial property
- Corporate and shareholder disputes
- Insolvency law
We are regularly instructed on complex, high-value work, but are also more than happy to advise on smaller disputes, and our fee structures reflect the realities of smaller disputes.
Please contact Steve Barter, Margaret Hickton-Burnett, Rick Phillips or Kate Blackmore for assistance.
We deal with a wide range of general commercial contractual matters for a broad range of clients.
In particular, we have experience in advising on:
- Shareholder agreements
- Terms of trade
- Commercial contracts
- Agency and distributorship
- Acquisitions and disposals of companies and businesses
- Joint ventures
- Securities Act issues
- Directors' responsibilities and corporate governance generally
Please contact Steve Barter, Margaret Hickton-Burnett or Rick Phillips for assistance.
Our property practice includes advising individuals, trusts, lending institutions, companies and incorporated societies in relation to commercial and residential transactions including:
- Buying and selling property
- Secured lending on residential and commercial property
- Relationship Property Agreements
- Wills and Trusts
Our wide experience in this area has given us the skills to understand and resolve issues arising from property transactions and to find practical solutions.
We advise both employers and employees. Steve spent three years as an advocate at the Auckland Employer’s Association, after graduating from Auckland University. Our experience includes the following:
- Providing bespoke employment and service contracts
- Advising both employers and employees on how to approach and/or avoid disputes or potential disputes within the workplace
- Negotiating severance arrangements
- Advising employers and employees on personal grievances, disputes and any other problems arising out of employment relationships
- Representing employers and employees at mediation, the Employment Relations Authority and the Employment Court
We also provide advice to employers in relation to the day to day management of their employees including recruitment, conduct and performance issues and redundancy.
Please contact Steve Barter, or Margaret Hickton-Burnett for assistance.
Barter & Co was established by Steve Barter after moving from a CBD firm where he had been a partner for 8 years and recognising the potential growth of the Albany area.
Our four lawyers and legal executive have between them a wide range of experience and expertise. In particular, we specialise in civil litigation, employment law, matrimonial property, company and commercial law, as well as providing advice on the full range of commercial and residential property, and family trust.
Our clients range from individuals to international companies. We aim to provide practical and cost effective advice with a particular focus on small to medium sized enterprises.
We also contribute to our community in a variety of pro bono work on behalf of several charitable trusts and through Albany Rotary.
Barter & Co is the trading name of Barter & Co Limited which was incorporated to commence trading on 1 August 2008 when the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act came into force.